Re: Donating (was Re: Voting Members)

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:41:03 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
made on an earlier post:

<snip>
I would, however, like to add that, although I do think the candidate
status is interesting, I do not see it as a major factor in voting because
it is clearly stated that it is not a requirement. We've had a lot of
finger-pointing about non-required issues and I think that it masks the
real issues at stake: who will be most qualified. The $ you have or have
not contributed to the Guild and the fact that you did or did not submit a
candidate profile may seem like good "quickie" measures, but as we have
seen in the discussions, are impacted by so many extenuating circumstances
(e.g., the weather, even!). I would hate for the debate to now turn into
who is better: the non-paying basic member, the paying $20 Value member
(who cannot vote) or the paying $35 Plus member (who can vote). Yipes!

Although I do not think a candidate should be elected, or not elected,
based on non-required issues such as membership status or lack of profile,
that is _my _ opinion. I am sure others may not agree and may, therefore,
vote differently (if they are eligible and choose to vote)!
<snip>

Also, I think a few of us have already addressed your "why now" questions
in previous posts.

Tanya Spain

Below are the "FOR ALL" questions.
---
-
-
-
-
-
-
>FOR ALL: Demitrius, this is not a personal attack on you, however all of
>this is
>food for thought for the candidates who have not volunteered, nor "upped their
>membership" and is the bottom line of what every has been asking about paying
>memberships etc.: "WHY NOW?"
---